Calling all vegetarians! Summer is a time for barbecuing, but you don’t have to be left out when everyone is eating meat. Beyond the traditional bean patties and fries, there are options, and no, they don’t suck.
From eggplant patties to cauliflower steaks, here are the 4 best meatless grilling recipes to try this season!
1. Cauliflower Steaks
Yes, you read that right. Cauliflower steaks. Truth be told, cauliflower is so versatile. You can put it in smoothies, transform it into rice, make it into pizza crust…the list goes on. But did you know that you could also make it into a vegetarian steak? Instead of chopping into florets, make thin (or thick) slabs, season, and toss it on the grill!
What You Need:
- Cauliflower (1-2, depending on how many you’re feeding)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon each each: ground coriander, paprika, cayenne pepper, teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- juice from 1/2 – 1 limes
- salt and pepper to taste
What You Do:
- Set oven to 400 degrees F.
- Take marinade ingredients and blend until spreadable, but thick. Remove leaves from cauliflower, wash, and halve (while keeping the bulb in place!) Then slice (with the cut-side facing out) into steaks.
- Brush with marinade (can also brush remaining florets and cook the same way!) Let them sit in the fridge to soak in the marine if desired, or put in oven.
- Cover with foil, roast about 20 minutes, flip and put foil on opposite side. Cook 5-10 minutes. Turn again.
- Heat grill and cook steaks for a few minutes on both sides. Add desired sides and enjoy!
*Other optional ideas: Try a a spicy steak with chipotle chilies, adobo sauce, and paprika. Or steaks with BBQ sauce!
2. Grilled Eggplant Burgers
This is a great way to enjoy all the perks, sauces, and flavors of traditional grilling without meat! Slice your eggplant into thin pieces.
If you eat dairy, consider a cheese like Halloumi on top, which won’t melt on the grill! Season with anything from A1 sauce to fresh pesto—you get to be creative!
3. Tofu Veggie Skewers
Yes, skewers are a bit basic, but have you tried putting tofu on the grill, too? Bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes—you pick! Pair with tofu and tangy sweet and sour sauce, BBQ, or a savory light vinaigrette!
4. Grilled Veggie Pizza
Meat-eaters, vegetarians, and vegans alike can all agree on the awesomeness of pizza. If you’re looking for a change, instead of the traditional oven, toss it on the grill! There are even options for grain and gluten free pizza or to even mix and make your own crust!