GUYS. I am so excited about this.
Over the last few months I’ve been experimenting with the Keto diet/low-carb diet. Long story short, back in early November I got really sick – extreme stomach cramping, dizziness, nausea, pain in my abdomen – it happened with no explanation, and honestly it freaked me out. The only thing I could chalk it up to, at the time, was an allergy onset/gluten intolerance. So I cut out all gluten, dairy, and sugar for almost a month. And let me tell you, I felt amazing.
It’s incredible how strong, energetic, and healthy your body can feel when you aren’t fueling it with processed foods, heavy grains, or excessive sugars. ‘Dieting’ that month really showed me how many bad things I was putting in my body, and how efficient I had the potential to be.
Turns out I had a terrible stomach flu (the friends I stayed with on that vacation ended up getting it to – so my questions were finally answered!) But the amazing way my body felt made me want to pursue more low-carb, low-sugar options. So I’ve been experimenting with ‘Keto’ recipes.
Here’s one of my newest favorites, (from EatFatLoseFat) – perfect as a side dish to turkey chili, pot roast, soup, or anything where you crave breads and cheeses.
Low-Carb Keto ‘Cornbread’:
Prep Time: 10min
Cook Time: 20min
*Net carbs = .6 for 1/6 of the recipe (less than 1 gram)!
Here’s What You Need (for 12 muffins):
– 2 cups almond flour
– 1/2 cup green onions chopped (remove if you really want low-carb)
– 1 1/2 tsps baking powder
– 1 tsp salt
– 4 large eggs
– 4 tbsp butter (softened)
– 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (or full fat sour cream)
– cheddar cheese to sprinkle on top (if desired – does add some carbs!)
Here’s What You Do:
- Set oven to 350. Mix (softened) butter, eggs and yogurt together in a large bowl. Chop and add your green onions.
- Slowly stir in flour, salt, and baking powder and mix well to remove clumps. *You can add shredded cheese if desired.
- Pour into greased 8×8 pan and bake for 20min, or silicone muffin trays and bake for 25-30min. (Or until light/golden brown). Serve hot & enjoy!