I am a HUGE fan of lasagna. Maybe it’s because I’m Italian. Or maybe it’s because I’m a sucker for anything cheesy. Regardless, lasagna is the bomb.com. So here’s my comfort-food-but-slightly-healthy-recipe for your eating pleasures.
Rock Your Socks Off Lasagna (Semi-Healthy Version):
Here’s What You Need:
*Healthy tips are in parentheses
- 1box lasagna noodles, you will need 12 total (whole-wheat!)
- 1 8oz tub of ricotta cheese (skim or low-fat!)
- 2 cups Parmesan cheese
- 3.5 cups Mozzarella cheese
- 1 lb. ground sausage (or ground turkey!)
- 1 bag spinach
- 1.5 jars of sauce – I use Prego garlic, flavored with meat
- 1 small can crushed tomatoes – optional
- 3 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1 egg
- salt/pepper to taste
Here’s How You Do It:
- Start cooking the noodles in one pot while you cook the meat of choice in a pan. In the meantime, spray a 9 x 13 glass pan and preheat oven to 375.
- Drain the meat, add chopped onion and continue to cook on med-low.
- In a bowl, mix egg, spices, spinach, and all cheese (except leave 1/2 cup of Parm & Mozz to add on top later).
- Add tomatoes and sauce to meat, cook on med-low about 3-5 min.
- Take a thin scoop of sauce and spread it around the pan (this prevents the noodles from sticking and burning).
- Lay out noodles in the pan, should be touching and covering entire bottom. (Probably about 4 for normal 9 x 13 pan).
- Add layer of sauce/meat on top of the noodles, spread evenly.
- Add layer of cheese/spinach, spread evenly. Then layer of noodles. Then repeat steps 7 & 8 until there is only a little sauce/meat mix left.
- On the very top layer of noodles, add sauce/meat mixture, spread evenly. Then sprinkle remaining cheese on top of the sauce. (This will crisp and taste amazing!)
- Put pan in the oven on 375 for about 20 min or until browned on the top. **Tip: towards the end, switch your oven to Broil to crisp your cheese! This is awesome! Just make sure to watch–it burns easily. Enjoy! 🙂