I was craving shrimp today, shrimp tacos to be specific. Don’t ask me why, I just stepped out of the gym and into the July sun and thought Oh my goodness, shrimp tacos sound ahhhmazzzing right now. (I’m weird, I know).
Anyways, I biked over to the grocery store and got some healthy taco ingredients for my own spin on some Summer Shrimp Tacos.
Summer Shrimp Tacos
- 1 lb. shrimp (I like the mini-kind, easier to eat!)
- 1 bag of Sundried Tomato wraps (I use these instead of tortillas – they’re healthier, taste great and you can use the leftover wraps for sandwiches, burritos, etc.)
- 3 tbs. plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tbs. lime juice
- 3 cups coleslaw mix
- ¼ cup salsa (I like the mix you find by the veggies with tomato, onion and cilantro. It tastes the most natural and fresh!)
- 2 tbs. minced garlic
- 1 tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 4 tbs. honey to drizzle (2 tbs. for mixing with shrimp to cook and 2 tbs. to drizzle on top!)
Okay, so first thing is to assemble the taco sauce: mix the Greek yogurt, lime juice, and chopped cilantro together and set aside to chill in the fridge.
Then make the shrimp: defrosted shrimp mixed with ground cumin, cayenne pepper, garlic, and half the honey (with vegetable oil to cook). Should only take about 5 minutes so make sure to watch it. When the shrimp is pink, take off the heat and cover to keep warm.
Heat your wraps in the hot frying pan—makes them crispier and yummier!
Shrimp on the taco first, then however much coleslaw mix and salsa you want. Then the yogurt/lime/cilantro dressing on top (I blended this with the coleslaw for a nice mix!) and drizzle honey over the top. Wrap the wrap however you like and ta-da! Summer Shrimp Tacos! The healthy kind!